White bean and quinoa cakes
½ cup(s), rinsed
Canned white beans
½ cup(s), small variety, rinsed and drained
Uncooked sweet yellow corn
½ cup(s), kernels removed from 1 ear corn
1 large, finely chopped
Uncooked bell pepper(s)
½ cup(s), orange or red, finely chopped
1 medium clove(s), minced
Whole wheat Panko breadcrumbs
Grated Parmesan cheese
2 tsp, minced
½ item(s), cut into 4 wedges
- Combine water and quinoa in small saucepan; bring to boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer until liquid id absorbed and quinoa is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drain beans in large bowl and mash with fork or potato masher.
- Drain quinoa in fine-mesh sieve and transfer to bowl with beans.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add, corn, shallot, bell pepper, and garlic and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add vegetable mixture, panko, egg, Parmesan, salt, black pepper, and thyme to quinoa mixture and stir to combine. Form mixture into 4 round cakes and chill 4 hours or up to overnight.
- Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil to large nonstick skillet and set over medium heat. Place cakes in skillet and cook, carefully turning once, until lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Serve cakes with lemon wedges.
- Per serving: 1 cake