Whipped butternut squash with browned butter
uncooked butternut squash
3¼ pound(s), 1 large squash
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; scrape out and discard seeds and membranes. Arrange squash halves cut side down on prepared baking sheet. Bake until tender when pierced with a knife, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, and cook until butter is browned and very fragrant, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Pull off squash skins with tongs or two forks; discard skins. Place squash flesh in a food processor. Add salt and half of butter; process until smooth. Spoon into a serving bowl. Drizzle with remaining browned butter and sprinkle with pepper, if desired.
- Serving size: about ½ cup