Vegetarian Rice-and-Bean Burritos
- 2 cup(s) water
- 1 cup(s) uncooked white rice, long-grained variety
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 1 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 2 cup(s) fresh spinach, baby leaves, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup(s) canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup(s) canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 small fat free flour tortilla(s)
- 4 large olive(s), (1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup(s) cilantro
- 1/4 cup(s) fat free sour cream
- Bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the rice and simmer, covered, over low heat until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, cumin, and salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, 6 – 8 minutes. Stir in the spinach, tomato sauce, and beans; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring, until the spinach wilts, about 3 minutes. Stir in the rice and heat through.
- Stack the tortillas on a microwavable plate. Cover with wax paper and microwave on High 1 minute. Spoon about 1 cup of the rice and bean mixture onto each warm tortilla. Top with the olives, cilantro, and sour cream. Fold the top and bottom of the tortillas over and roll up to enclose the filling. Cut each burrito in half. Yields 1/2 burrito per serving.
To reheat, microwave on High about 40 seconds and serve 1/2 tablespoon sour cream on the side with each.