This Tex-Mex casserole is jam-packed with tasty, fiber-rich ingredients. We used Swiss Chard but spinach, kale or turnip greens are all great options.
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 small uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 1 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 2 cup(s) frozen corn kernels, thawed and drained
- 3 cup(s) uncooked Swiss chard, thick stems removed, coarsely chopped
- 14 1/2 oz canned diced tomatoes, with chilies, well-drained
- 2 cup(s) cooked pearl barley, quick-cooking recommended
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1/2 cup(s) WeightWatchers Reduced Fat Mexican style blend shredded cheese, sharp-variety recommended
Preheat oven to 350ºF.
Heat oil in very large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, corn and Swiss chard; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent and Swiss chard is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, barley, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper; heat through.
Coat a 2 1/2- to 3-quart baking dish with cooking spray. Spoon barley mixture into prepared dish in an even layer; sprinkle with cheese. Bake until cheese melts and mixture is hot, about 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes before slicing into six pieces. Yields 1 piece per serving.
- Add some canned black beans to make this dish even heartier (could affect SmartPoints value).