Vanilla pound cake
SmartPoints® value per serving
1 hr 15 min
1 hr 5 min
Three words: moist, sweet, delicious. This classic vanilla pound cake is a terrific go-to dessert for any occasion. It's chockfull of flavor thanks to using both vanilla and almond extracts, as well as low-fat cream cheese for a silky smooth batter. It's also very easy to make, and there's no fancy equipment required. Most of the prep time is hands-off, as it takes about an hour to bake in the oven. If you're feeling fancy, you should serve the cake with some fresh berries alongside for an even prettier presentation and an added dose of sweetness and color. You'll never buy pound cake at the store again after mastering this recipe.
2 large egg(s)
Low fat cream cheese
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a 9-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, vanilla extract and almond extract; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together cream cheese and butter until blended. Beat in sugar, baking powder and salt until blended. Beat in flour and egg mixture, little by little, beginning and ending with flour.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake until a wooden toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 55 to 65 minutes.
- Cool cake in pan on a wire rack. Cut into 12 slices and serve. Yields 1 slice per serving.