Turkish meatballs with a cucumber-yogurt dipping sauce
Uncooked 93% lean ground beef
¼ cup(s), sliced
3 Tbsp, fresh, chopped, divided
1¼ tsp, divided
¾ tsp, divided
Plain fat free yogurt
¼ cup(s), finely diced
2 Tbsp, sliced, finely diced
1 Tbsp, fresh, chopped
- Cook or soak bulgur according to package directions; drain any excess water and let cool.
- Place oven rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 425ºF. Coat baking pan with cooking spray.
- Put beef, scallions, 2 tablespoons of cilantro, 1 teaspoon each of garlic and cumin, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, paprika, cinnamon and drained bulgur in a large bowl; combine ingredients with your hands until well-mixed.
- Roll meatball mixture into twenty-four 1 1/4-inch balls; place on prepared pan. Bake until lightly browned and cooked through, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make dipping sauce, in a small bowl, combine yogurt, cucumber, radish, dill, remaining tablespoon of cilantro, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon each of garlic, cumin and salt; mix well.
- To serve, place meatballs on a serving platter with toothpicks and spoon sauce into a small bowl. Yields 2 meatballs and about 1 1/2 tablespoons of sauce per serving.