Turkey Sloppy Joes
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper(s), finely chopped
- 2 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 pound(s) uncooked ground turkey breast
- 1 cup(s) barbecue sauce
- 4 item(s) mixed grain hamburger roll(s)
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Swirl in the oil, then add the onion, pepper, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chili powder, oregano, and mustard; let cool 1 minute.
- Add the turkey and cook, stirring to break up the meat, until no longer pink, 3–4 minutes. Stir in the barbecue sauce and cook until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and serve on the hamburger rolls. Yields 1 roll with 3/4 cup meat.
Why buy the salty packaged flavoring mix when you can easily make them yourself? This dish can be made with ground skinless chicken, ground lean beef, or, for a vegetarian version, textured vegetable protein crumbles, now found in the freezer case in most supermarkets. Just cook the crumbles according to the package directions and add them to the cooked vegetable mixture at step 2. If you’d like a little more heat, try adding 1 chopped jalapeño pepper to the vegetable mixture in Step 1, then stir in 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro just before serving.