Turkey, Bean and Vegetable Chili
- 2 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 pound(s) uncooked 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 2 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 2 large uncooked carrot(s), chopped
- 2 rib(s), medium uncooked celery, chopped
- 1 medium yellow pepper(s), chopped
- 1 item(s), medium uncooked bell pepper(s), orange-variety, chopped
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, optional
- 29 oz fat-free reduced sodium chicken broth
- 29 oz canned diced tomatoes, with mild green chiles
- 15 1/2 oz canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 oz fat free canned refried beans
- Coat a 12-inch sauté pan with cooking spray; set over medium-high heat. Brown turkey, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon as it cooks, about 10 minutes; drain and set aside.
- Coat a large pot with cooking spray; set over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring occasionally, until soft but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add carrots, celery and peppers; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add chili powder, paprika, cumin, oregano, salt and cayenne; stir for 1 minute.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes, both types of beans and turkey; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring every 5 minutes, about 35 minutes total.
- Serving size: 1 1/2 c
If you like your chili spicy, make sure to add the cayenne pepper. If you prefer your chili on the milder side, leave out the cayenne pepper and use plain diced tomatoes, instead of ones with green chilies.