Turkey and cheddar burgers
- 1 pound(s) uncooked ground turkey breast, lean
- 1 small uncooked zucchini, shredded
- 1/2 cup(s) low fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup(s), sliced uncooked red onion(s), minced
- 3/4 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 cup(s) ketchup
- 1/4 cup(s) light mayonnaise
- 4 leaf/leaves, large lettuce
- 4 slice(s) fresh tomato(es)
- 4 item(s) mixed grain hamburger roll(s), or whole-wheat buns, split and toasted
- Heat a nonstick ridged grill pan over medium-low heat.
- Combine the turkey, zucchini, cheese, onion, salt, and pepper in a bowl until blended. Shape into four patties.
- Grill the patties until browned on the outside and no longer pink in the center, about 7 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the ketchup and mayonnaise in a small bowl.
- Layer the lettuce, burgers, and tomato slices on the bottoms of the hamburger buns. Top with the ketchup mixture, then the bun tops.
Don’t be tempted to press the burgers with a spatula when cooking. This common mistake actually robs the burgers of moistness by squeezing out the juices.