Turketta [Tuscan-style turkey roulade]
2 large clove(s)
¾ tsp, or to taste
2 tsp, coarsely chopped
2 Tbsp, flat-leaf, finely chopped
1 Tbsp, fresh, finely chopped
1 Tbsp, finely chopped
Red pepper flakes
½ tsp, or less to taste
½ tsp, grated
Uncooked reduced fat center cut bacon
Uncooked boneless skinless turkey breast
2 pound(s), butterflied and flattened to 1/2-inch thickness
- On a cutting board, mound garlic with 3/4 tsp salt. Using blade and flat side of chef’s knife, chop and scrape mixture into a paste. In a small bowl, stir together garlic paste, fennel seeds, parsley, rosemary, sage, mustard, red pepper flakes and orange zest.
- Spread herb paste over turkey, leaving a 1/2-inch border at edges; starting at one long side, roll up turkey, jelly-roll style.
- Place bacon on a flat surface, lined up slice by slice. Place rolled turkey, seam-side down, on top and wrap bacon around turkey; press in ends. This can be prepared up to 1 day ahead; cover and refrigerate (if your bacon does not stay in place, wrap roulade with kitchen twine).
- Preheat oven to 375ºF with rack in middle. Place roulade in a baking dish and roast until thermometer inserted into thickest part registers 140ºF, 25-30 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 400ºF; continue roasting until thermometer inserted into thickest part registers 165ºF and bacon is light golden, 10-20 minutes more.
- Remove roulade from oven; transfer to a cutting board and let rest at least 15 minutes. Remove and discard twine (if used); thinly slice crosswise into 8 pieces.
- Serving size: 1 slice