- 3/4 pound(s) uncooked beets, golden variety, scrubbed, tops removed (about 4 medium beets)
- 4 medium fresh tomato(es), different colors or heirloom, cut into 1/4-inch wedges
- 1 item(s), medium avocado, ripe, Hass, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 small uncooked red onion(s), cut in half and sliced into thin half moons
- 4 tsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 4 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 Tbsp basil, fresh, chopped
- 1 Tbsp chives, fresh, chopped
Place a medium saucepan filled with water over high heat; bring to a boil. Add beets, bring back to a boil and reduce heat to medium; simmer until beets pierce easily with the point of a sharp knife, about 25 minutes.
Remove beets from pan and place under cold running water until cool enough to handle. Peel beets with a vegetable peeler and cut into 1/2-inch wedges; place beets in a large bowl.
Add tomato, avocado, onion, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper to bowl; toss to combine. Sprinkle with basil and chives; serve. Yields about 1 1/4 cups per serving.