Sweet Potato, Honey, Lime and Ginger Soup
- Total Time
This African soup is smooth and creamy, mildly sweet with just a hint a spice. Add more or less lime juice to taste.
uncooked sweet potato(es)3 large, peeled, and diced
salted butter1 Tbsp, melted
corn oil1 Tbsp
uncooked onion(s)1 large, sliced
ginger root⅛ piece(s), (1-inch) peeled and finely chopped
garlic clove(s)2 clove(s), medium
fat free skim milk4 cup(s)
fresh lime juice2 Tbsp, or to taste
table salt⅛ tsp, or to taste
black pepper⅛ tsp, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a roasting pan, toss potatoes with butter and honey; roast until soft and golden in color, about 15 minutes.
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, ginger and garlic; sauté until soft and translucent, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes and milk to pot; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, about 8 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat, blend thoroughly in an electric blender and pass through a sieve (or blend in pot using an immersion blender).
- Before serving, season to taste with lime juice, salt and pepper. Yields about 1 cup per serving.