Sweet and Sour Slow Cooker Flank Steak
- 24 oz chili sauce
- 16 oz canned mushrooms, sliced, well-drained*
- 9 oz frozen chopped onions, about 2 1/2 cups
- 1/2 cup(s) canned fat-free beef broth
- 2 fl oz red wine, dry-variety (1/4 cup)
- 2 Tbsp canned tomato paste
- 2 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp unpacked brown sugar
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 pound(s) uncooked lean flank steak, cut into six equal pieces
- In a large bowl, stir together all ingredients, except steak. Place steak in a 5-quart slow cooker and pour chili-vegetable mixture over top; stir briefly so steak pieces aren't pressed firmly together.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on high heat for 4 hours. Remove steak from slow cooker and let sit for 2 minutes; slice steak on the diagonal against the grain. Arrange steak on a platter and spoon vegetables and gravy on top. Yields about 1 1/2 cups of meat, vegetables and gravy per serving.
*Feel free to substitute 3 cups of frozen chopped mushrooms for the canned mushrooms if you prefer.This recipe is excellent served with roasted fingerling potatoes. Precook them and then just reheat before serving.