Steak with Ratatouille Tagliatelle
- Total Time
uncooked whole wheat pasta4 oz, tagliatelle, linguine, or fettuccine
olive oil2 tsp
uncooked onion(s)1 medium, finely chopped
uncooked zucchini2 medium, diced
uncooked eggplant(s)1 medium, diced
fresh tomato(es)6 medium, diced
garlic clove(s)2 medium clove(s)
fennel seed1 tsp
basil½ cup(s), chopped fresh plus additional for garnish
table salt1 tsp
black pepper½ tsp, coarsely ground
uncooked lean and trimmed beef strip sirloin1 pound(s), boneless, cut into 4 pieces
cooking spray1 spray(s)
fresh parsley4 sprig(s), flat-leaf, chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until it begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Add zucchini and eggplant and cook, stirring often, just until crisp-tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, garlic, and fennel seeds and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in pasta, 1/2 cup basil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Spray large ridged grill pan with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Sprinkle steak with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add steak to pan and cook, turning once, until instant-read thermometer inserted into side of steak registers 145°F, about 6 minutes.
- Divide pasta mixture and steak evenly among 4 plates. Sprinkle with basil and parsley, if using.
- Per serving (1 piece steak and 11/2 cups pasta mixture)