This simple soup is full of spring vegetables and fresh herbs. Stir in some cooked chicken or shrimp to make it a main meal.
- 6 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 cup(s) uncooked orzo
- 1 large uncooked carrot(s), diced
- 1 1/2 cup(s) uncooked asparagus, sliced diagonally in bite-size pieces
- 1 cup(s) frozen green peas
- 4 medium uncooked scallion(s), sliced
- 1/3 cup(s) dill, fresh, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste
Bring broth to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat.
Add orzo and carrots; boil 7 minutes.
Add asparagus and frozen peas; boil until orzo and vegetables are tender, about 3 minutes.
Remove from heat; stir in scallions, dill, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Serving size: 1 cup
- A few handfuls of fresh baby spinach stirred in at the end of cooking would be a nice addition to this soup. Change up the flavor by substituting fresh parsley for the dill.