- Total Time
To ensure these appetizers are crispy, make sure to use fat-free cottage cheese drained of any excess water.
chopped frozen spinach10 oz, thawed
uncooked onion(s)1 medium
garlic clove(s)1 clove(s), medium, minced, 1/2 tsp
feta cheese3 oz, crumbled
fat free cottage cheese½ cup(s), drained
dried oregano½ tsp
phyllo dough3 sheet(s), (about 12 x 17 inches each)
- Squeeze excess liquid from the spinach and set aside.
- Coat an unheated large skillet with cooking spray. Add the onions and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat until onions are tender, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the spinach.
- In a large bowl, combine the feta cheese, cottage cheese and oregano. Stir in the spinach mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (175°C). Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a piece of wax paper; coat evenly with spray. Repeat layering and spraying the phyllo two more time (you¿ll use a total of 3 sheets).
- Cut the stack of prepared phyllo dough horizontally into six strips, then vertically into 4 strips. You should end up with 24 squares. Place a teaspoon of spinach filling into the centre of each square and fold it in half so that your square is now a triangle.
- Transfer the filled triangles to the prepared baking sheet. Coat with spray. Bake until golden brown, 15 minutes. Yields 2 triangles per serving.