- 10 oz fresh spinach, triple-washed, rinsed (do not dry)
- 1 large egg(s)
- 2 Tbsp fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp fat free skim milk
- 1 tsp fresh oregano, chopped fresh
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup(s) button mushrooms, 4 mushrooms, stems removed
- 1/4 cup(s) reduced-fat shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add the spinach and cook, stirring as needed, until wilted, 2–3 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and chop, then transfer to a bowl; mix in the egg, bread crumbs, milk, oregano, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
Place the mushrooms, caps up, in the baking dish. Bake 5 minutes. Turn the mushrooms caps down; stuff with the spinach mixture, then sprinkle with the cheese. Bake until the cheese is melted and browned, about 15 minutes longer.
- If you prefer, use large cremini mushrooms instead of the white variety, but don’t use portobellos (they’re too big). Monterey Jack cheese melts particularly well. If you like, use a flavored version, such as pepper-Jack.