- 10 oz fresh spinach, triple-washed, rinsed (do not dry)
- 1 large egg(s)
- 2 Tbsp fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp fat free skim milk
- 1 tsp fresh oregano, chopped fresh
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup(s) button mushrooms, 4 mushrooms, stems removed
- 1/4 cup(s) reduced-fat shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add the spinach and cook, stirring as needed, until wilted, 2–3 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and chop, then transfer to a bowl; mix in the egg, bread crumbs, milk, oregano, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Place the mushrooms, caps up, in the baking dish. Bake 5 minutes. Turn the mushrooms caps down; stuff with the spinach mixture, then sprinkle with the cheese. Bake until the cheese is melted and browned, about 15 minutes longer.
If you prefer, use large cremini mushrooms instead of the white variety, but don’t use portobellos (they’re too big). Monterey Jack cheese melts particularly well. If you like, use a flavored version, such as pepper-Jack.