Spinach Pie - Greek Spanakopita
- Total Time
Flaky crust and a gooey cheese filling ... plus our Spinach Pie is a caloric bargain!
cooking spray18 spray(s)
olive oil2 tsp
chopped frozen spinach30 oz, thawed, squeezed to remove excess water
uncooked onion(s)1 cup(s), finely chopped
fresh parsley2 Tbsp, fresh, chopped
ground nutmeg⅛ tsp
regular liquid egg substitute8 oz
feta cheese4 oz, crumbled
grated Parmesan cheese1 Tbsp
table salt¼ tsp
black pepper¼ tsp
phyllo dough1 pound(s), frozen, thawed according to package directions
- Coat a 9 X 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add spinach and onion and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 5 to 7 minutes; stir in parsley and nutmeg. Remove from heat and transfer mixture to a large bowl. Add egg substitute, cheeses and salt and pepper; mix well.
- Lay 1 sheet of phyllo in and up the sides of prepared pan; coat surface lightly with cooking spray. Top with 7 more sheets of phyllo, coating each layer with cooking spray. Spread spinach mixture over dough and top with 8 more sheets of dough, coating each layer with cooking spray. Roll the overhanging sides of dough into the edges of pan, forming a border.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into 12 squares, almost through to the bottom, but not quite or the filling will leak. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Bake until crisp and golden, about 45 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting squares all the way through to the bottom. Yields 1 square per serving.