1¼ tsp, divided
Uncooked manicotti shells
Part-skim ricotta cheese
Chopped frozen spinach
10 oz, thawed and squeezed dry
4 medium, chopped (green parts only)
Regular liquid egg substitute
¼ cup(s), Garden Vegetable variety, refrigerated
Canned diced tomatoes
14½ oz, with Italian seasonings or with roasted garlic and onion
Canned tomato paste
Grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup(s), Parmigiano Reggiano recommended
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a 9-inch square glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of water to boiling; add 1 teaspoon of salt. Add manicotti shells and submerge in water. Cook until tender, about 8 to 10 minutes; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine ricotta, spinach, scallions, egg substitute, remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- On a flat work surface, cut manicotti shells down the center with a knife through one side. Lay noodle flat and spoon 1/4 cup of ricotta filling down the center of each one; roll up tightly and place seam-side down in prepared baking dish. Or stuff whole manicotti shells in the traditional manner if you prefer.
- Combine diced tomatoes and tomato paste in a small bowl; gently spoon over manicotti and sprinkle with cheese. Bake manicotti until hot and cheese is lightly browned, about 30 minutes. Yields 2 manicotti per serving.