Spinach and Cheese–Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Total Time
Turkey pepperoni has plenty of flavor and little fat. It comes in packages of small, thin slices, perfect for this recipe, or as a topping for pizza.
egg white(s)2 large, lightly beaten
water2 tsp, cold
dried plain breadcrumbs¼ cup(s)
uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s)20 oz, 4 (5-ounce)
chopped frozen spinach10 oz, thawed and squeezed dry
low-fat Swiss cheese2 oz, 2 (1-ounce) slices
pepperoni2 oz, turkey variety, thinly sliced, ready-to-eat (about 16 slices)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Spray a nonstick baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Whisk together the egg whites with the water in a small bowl. Place the bread crumbs in another small bowl.
- Lightly pound the chicken between 2 sheets of wax paper with a mallet or rolling pin to 1⁄4-inch thickness. Top each chicken breast with one-quarter of the spinach, 1 half slice of cheese, and 4 slices of pepperoni. Roll up each chicken breast from a short side.
- Dip the chicken, one piece at a time, into the egg white mixture, then into the bread crumbs. Place the chicken, seam-side down, on the baking sheet.
- Spray the tops of the chicken lightly with nonstick spray. Bake until the chicken is cooked through and the crust is golden, about 25 minutes. Cut each roll into 4 or 5 slices. Yields 1 chicken roll per serving.