Spinach and Black Lentil Salad with Shiitakes and Citrus
¾ cup(s), beluga or French variety, picked over for stones
crushed red pepper flakes
½ tsp, (or less to taste)
fresh shiitake mushroom
8 oz, cleaned and stems removed (about 4 cups)
3 Tbsp, divided
1 tsp, divided (or to taste)
¾ tsp, freshly ground, divided (or to taste)
fresh orange juice
fresh lemon juice
½ Tbsp, minced (plus extra for garnish)
low sodium soy sauce
fresh baby spinach
2 medium, seedless, peeled, pith removed, segmented (or use 4 clementines)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a 4-quart pot, combine lentils, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, and enough water to cover by 2 inches; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until lentils are tender but firm and still hold their shape, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat and drain lentils, discarding cooking liquid.
- While lentils are simmering, slice mushroom caps into 1/8-inch strips; toss in a bowl with 1 Tbsp oil, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper, making sure to coat mushrooms evenly. Transfer to a foil-lined baking sheet; roast until tender and browned, about 20 minutes.
- While mushrooms roast, combine orange juice, lemon juice, mustard, shallot, ginger, and soy sauce in a blender. Blend on a low setting and slowly pour in remaining 2 Tbsp oil until dressing becomes smooth and thick; season with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper (or to taste).
- In a large bowl, toss spinach, warm lentils, and mushrooms gently together with dressing until spinach is just wilted. Season with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper, if desired.
- Arrange salad on a platter and top with oranges; garnish with shallots.
- Serving size: 2 c