Spiced Beef Ragu
Uncooked whole wheat pasta
½ pound(s), fusilli
Uncooked 93% lean ground beef
¾ pound(s), (7% fat or less)
2 medium, finely chopped
1 small, finely chopped
Uncooked fennel bulb(s)
¾ medium, small, cored and finely chopped
Red pepper flakes
1½ pound(s), cut into 3/4-inch pieces
Crumbled feta cheese
Fresh mint leaves
½ cup(s), chopped
Olive oil cooking spray
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Transfer to large bowl and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, spray large skillet with olive-oil nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Add beef, ½ teaspoon salt, and black pepper and cook, breaking beef apart with wooden spoon, until no longer pink, 4–5 minutes.
- Stir in carrots, onion, and fennel. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add cumin, coriander, and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds.
- Stir in tomatoes and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add beef mixture to pasta and toss to combine. Divide evenly among 6 bowls. Sprinkle evenly with feta and mint.
- Serving size: 1⅓ cups