Spiced Beef Ragu
- Total Time
uncooked whole wheat pasta½ pound(s), fusilli
uncooked 93% lean ground beef¾ pound(s), (7% fat or less)
table salt¾ tsp
black pepper¼ tsp
uncooked carrot(s)2 medium, finely chopped
uncooked onion(s)1 small, finely chopped
uncooked fennel bulb(s)¾ medium, small, cored and finely chopped
ground cumin1 tsp
ground coriander1 tsp
red pepper flakes¼ tsp
fresh tomato(es)1 ½ pound(s), cut into 3/4-inch pieces
crumbled feta cheese6 Tbsp
fresh mint leaves½ cup(s), chopped
olive oil cooking spray1 spray(s)
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Transfer to large bowl and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, spray large skillet with olive-oil nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Add beef, ½ teaspoon salt, and black pepper and cook, breaking beef apart with wooden spoon, until no longer pink, 4–5 minutes.
- Stir in carrots, onion, and fennel. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add cumin, coriander, and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds.
- Stir in tomatoes and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add beef mixture to pasta and toss to combine. Divide evenly among 6 bowls. Sprinkle evenly with feta and mint.
- Serving size: 1⅓ cups