Whole wheat spaghetti, ground turkey breast and canned tomatoes make this fiber-rich meal hearty, healthy and easy to prepare. Check out our renovation tips below.
- 12 oz uncooked ground turkey breast
- 2 tsp garlic herb seasoning, or Italian seasoning (preferably salt-free)
- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 14 oz canned diced tomatoes, with green pepper, celery and onion
- 6 oz canned tomato paste
- 1/2 cup(s) fat-free reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 12 oz uncooked whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1/4 cup(s) basil, fresh, chopped
Combine turkey breast and Italian or garlic herb seasoning in a bowl; mix well to combine. Shape mixture into 16 meatballs (about 2 tablespoons each).
Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set pan over medium-high heat. When pan is hot, add meatballs and sauté until browned on all sides, turning frequently, about 5 minutes. Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken broth and oregano; mix well. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until meatballs are cooked through and sauce reduces slightly, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions without oil. Drain, cover to keep warm and set aside.
Remove meatball mixture from heat and stir in basil. Spoon meatballs and sauce over spaghetti to serve. Yields about 1 1/3 cups of spaghetti, 4 meatballs and 1/2 cup of sauce per serving.