- 1/8 tsp table salt, for cooking pasta
- 8 oz fresh spinach, baby leaves (about 8 cups)
- 2 Tbsp water
- 8 oz uncooked whole wheat pasta, spaghetti
- 2 1/2 tsp olive oil, extra-virgin
- 1 1/4 cup(s) uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 2 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 1/4 cup(s) fat-free ricotta cheese
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
Meanwhile, to make sauce, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add spinach and sprinkle with water. Cook, tossing, until spinach wilts down and becomes tender, about 3 minutes; remove cooked spinach from skillet. (If your skillet isn’t large enough, cook in 2 batches.) When spinach is cool enough to handle, squeeze out excess water; set aside.
Add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package directions.
While pasta cooks, heat oil in same nonstick skillet. Add onion, garlic, salt and pepper; cook over medium heat, stirring often, until onion is very tender and light golden, about 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in spinach; toss until mixed.
Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup of cooking water. Transfer pasta to a serving bowl; add spinach mixture and ricotta. Toss, adding 1/4 cup (or more) of reserved pasta cooking water to make a creamy sauce. Serve hot. Yields about 1 3/4 cups per serving.
- *Chopped fresh or sun-dried tomatoes, or chopped roasted red peppers, make a nice addition to this recipe (could affect SmartPoints value).