Spaghetti with Caramelized Onions
5 large, sweet onions such as Texas Sweet or Vidalia (about 4 1/2 pounds, sliced
Extra virgin olive oil
1 leaf/leaves, large size
12 oz, preferably spaghetti
Grated Parmesan cheese
12 Tbsp, or shaved
- Mix together onions, oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Tuck in bay leaf. Cover and cook until onions are golden and softened, about 6 hours on Low.
- Stir onions. Partially cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until onions are golden brown and most of liquid is evaporated, 4–5 hours on High. Stir in remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt. Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain and cover to keep warm.
- Divide pasta evenly among 6 large shallow bowls and top with onion mixture. Sprinkle with pepper, Parmesan, and thyme, if using.
- Per serving: about 1/2 cup onion, 1 cup pasta, and 2 tablespoons cheese.