- 8 oz uncooked whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste (for cooking pasta)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 6 slice(s) uncooked reduced fat bacon
- 1 large uncooked onion(s), finely diced
- 2 cup(s) canned diced tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
Cook spaghetti in salted water until al dente; reserve 1/4 cup of cooking water and then drain pasta.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook bacon, flipping once, until crisp; remove from pan and set aside. Increase heat to medium-high and add onion; cook until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Crumble bacon into pan and add tomatoes and red pepper flakes; toss to mix and coat.
Add pasta and reserved pasta cooking water to tomato sauce; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.
- Serve with fresh chopped basil and grated Parmesan cheese, if desired (could affect SmartPoints value).