Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Nachos
- Total Time
To create zestier flavor, we cook the chicken using canned tomatoes with jalapeños instead of adding bottled salsa afterward.
ground cumin1 Tbsp
ancho chile powder1 ½ tsp
dried oregano1 tsp
table salt½ tsp
uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast1 ¾ pound(s)
sweet red pepper(s)1 large, cut into 1 1/2-pieces
canned diced tomatoes14 ½ oz, petite-variety with jalapenos
canned black beans15 oz, rinsed and drained
corn tortilla(s)6 medium, 6-inches each
cooking spray6 spray(s)
shredded reduced-fat Mexican-style cheese1 ½ cup(s)
light sour cream6 Tbsp
cilantro⅓ cup(s), coarsely chopped
pickled jalapeno peppers⅓ cup(s), chopped, thinly sliced (optional)
fresh lime(s)1 item(s), cut into wedges
- In a 5 quart or larger slow cooker, combine cumin, chile powder, oregano and salt; add chicken and toss to coat. Make sure chicken is in a single layer; top with red peppers and tomatoes. Cover and set heat to high; cook until chicken is fork-tender and cooked through, about 3 hours. Shred chicken with two forks in slow cooker; stir beans into slow cooker and cover to heat through, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425°F.
- Lightly coat both sides of tortillas with cooking spray, stacking them as you go; cut stack into 6 wedges. Place wedges in even layer on a large rimmed baking sheet; bake until lightly browned and crisp, turning chips once halfway through baking, about 12 minutes. Cool chips in pan on wire rack.
- Increase oven temperature to broil.
- Move chips so they are close together on pan; spoon chicken mixture over top with a slotted spoon and sprinkle evenly with cheese. Broil 4 inches from heat until cheese melts and mixture is bubbly, about 1 minute. Garnish with sour cream, cilantro, pickled jalapeños and a squeeze of lime.
- Serving size: 1 cup chicken mixture and 6 chips