Slow-cooker pork carnitas
Ancho chile powder
Uncooked lean only pork loin
32 oz, roast, trimmed
Fresh orange juice
Canned tomato paste
12 fl oz, (1 bottle)
4 large clove(s), crushed
Fresh lime juice
- 1 Combine chile powder, oregano, cumin, coriander, and 3/4 teaspoon salt in cup; rub spice mixture on all sides of pork.
- 2 Spray large skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium- high heat. Add pork and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes.
- 3 Meanwhile, whisk together orange juice and tomato paste in 5- or 6-quart slow cooker.
- 4 Transfer pork to slow cooker. Add beer, garlic, cinnamon stick, and bay leaves. Cover and cook until pork is fork-tender, 6–7 hours on Low.
- 5 Transfer pork to cutting board. Remove garlic, cinnamon stick, and bay leaves; discard cinnamon stick and bay leaves. Mash garlic with fork and set aside.
- 6 Stir together mashed garlic and remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt in small bowl.
- 7 When cool enough to handle, coarsely shred pork with 2 forks. Transfer to large bowl and stir in cooking liquid, garlic mixture, and the lime juice.
- Serving size: (about 1/2 cup)