- 1 Tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 3 rib(s), medium uncooked celery, chopped
- 3 medium uncooked carrot(s), chopped
- 2 medium uncooked leek(s), white and light green sections, chopped
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 2 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 6 oz uncooked Canadian bacon, diced
- 64 oz reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound(s) dry split peas, rinsed and sorted (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 1 leaf/leaves bay leaf
- 1 tsp rosemary, fresh, chopped
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
In a large stock pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add celery, carrots, leeks, onion and salt; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 10 minutes.
Stir in garlic and bacon; cook, stirring frequently, 1 minute.
Add broth, peas, bay leaf, rosemary and pepper; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until split peas are softened and soup has thickened, about 1 hour. Remove bay leaf before serving. Yields about 1 1/4 cups per serving.
- If time is an issue, use a food processor to coarsely chop the vegetables. Just pulse a few times until no large pieces remain.