This soup freezes well so why not make a double batch? Just cook in a 6-quart or larger slow cooker and increase the cooking time by an hour or so.
- 4 cup(s) canned chicken broth
- 14 1/2 oz canned diced tomatoes, with basil, garlic and oregano
- 1 pound(s) uncooked Yukon gold potato(es), peeled, diced
- 1 medium uncooked zucchini, quartered lengthwise, sliced 3/4-in thick
- 19 oz canned cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cup(s) uncooked string beans, cut in 1-in lengths
- 1 medium uncooked leek(s), chopped (light green and white part only)
- 1 large uncooked carrot(s), diced
- 1 rib(s), medium uncooked celery, diced
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground (or more to taste)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, extra-virgin
- 1/2 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese, Parmigiano-Reggiano suggested
Combine broth, tomatoes, potatoes, zucchini, cannellini beans, string beans, leek, carrot, celery and pepper in a 4-quart or larger slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW setting until vegetables are tender, about 6 hours. Stir in oil and salt; sprinkle with cheese just before serving. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.
- Garnish with fresh basil, if desired.