Shrimp with Spicy Tomato Sauce
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, extra-virgin, divided
- 1 pound(s) uncooked shrimp, large-size, peeled and deveined (21 to 25 per lb)
- 4 tsp minced garlic, divided
- 3/4 tsp table salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 28 oz canned tomatoes, whole, in juice, coarsely crushed
- 1/2 cup(s) basil, fresh, chopped
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp, 1 tsp garlic and 1/4 tsp salt; sauté until shrimp are just cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- Heat 1 more tsp oil in same skillet over low heat. Add remaining Tbsp garlic and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring a few times, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and remaining 1/2 tsp salt to skillet; bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, scraping any browned bits of food from bottom of skillet. Simmer until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Return shrimp and any juices to skillet; heat through. Stir in basil until wilted. Remove from heat; stir in remaining 1 tsp oil and season with additional crushed red pepper, if desired. Yields a generous 3/4 cup per serving.