Shrimp-and-tomato kebabs with jalapeño
- Total Time
We put the shrimp and the tomatoes on separate skewers so they cook evenly. These kebabs are perfect party food and make an attractive display on a platter served as a main dish or an appetizer.
olive oil1 ½ Tbsp
uncooked red onion(s)1 medium, halved and thinly sliced
bay leaf2 leaf/leaves
dried oregano1 ½ tsp
black pepper½ tsp, cracked
jalapeño pepper(s)1 medium, with seeds, minced
garlic clove(s)2 medium clove(s), minced
white wine vinegar¼ cup(s)
table salt⅛ tsp, or to taste
olive oil cooking spray10 spray(s)
uncooked shrimp1 ½ pound(s), large size, peeled and deveined
grape tomatoes12 oz, (1 container) assorted-colors
- 1 If using wooden skewers, soak 12 (12-inch) skewers in cold water to cover 30 minutes.
- 2 Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, bay leaves, oregano, and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion softens, about 4 minutes. Add jalapeño and garlic; cook, stirring constantly, just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Remove pan from heat and stir in vinegar and salt. Transfer to small serving bowl and cool. Season to taste with additional salt, if desired.
- 3 Spray grill rack with nonstick spray. Preheat grill to medium- high heat or prepare medium-hot fire.
- 4 Drain skewers. Thread shrimp on 8 skewers and tomatoes on remaining 4 skewers. Sprinkle shrimp with more salt, if desired; spray both sides of kebabs with olive oil nonstick spray. Place kebabs on grill rack and grill, turning once, until shrimp are just opaque in center and tomatoes are charred, about 5 minutes for tomatoes and about 6 minutes for shrimp.
- 5 Serve kebabs warm or at room temperature with onion relish.
- Serving size: (2 shrimp kebabs, 1 tomato kebab, and 1/4 cup onion relish)