Savory Matzo Pudding
- Total Time
Here's the perfect mate for your Passover pot roast or roasted chicken. Garnish with fresh parsley just before serving.
cooking spray5 spray(s), divided
egg white(s)3 large
kosher salt2 tsp
black pepper½ tsp, freshly ground, or to taste
canned chicken broth2 cup(s)
uncooked onion(s)2 cup(s), Spanish, chopped (about 3 medium onions)
uncooked celery1 cup(s), chopped (about 2 ribs)
fresh mushroom(s)½ pound(s), finely sliced or shredded
canola oil2 Tbsp
fresh parsley2 Tbsp, minced
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 3 quart oven-proof baking dish (about 13- x 7-inches) with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whiles, salt and pepper until well-combined; stir in broth.
- Run each sheet of matzo under cold water and shake off excess moisture; crumble matzo into egg mixture and stir well to coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, tossing once or twice.
- Meanwhile, coat a large skillet with cooking spray; set over medium heat. Add onions and celery; sauté until onions turn translucent, about 10 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables brown and start to caramelize, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- When eggs are almost all absorbed by matzo, stir in vegetable mixture until well-combined; spoon mixture into prepared dish and smooth out top. Drizzle oil over top of matzo pudding; bake until top is crisp, about 45 minutes. Allow to cool for about 15 minutes before cutting into 12 equal portions. Garnish with parsley and serve.
- Serving size: 1/12th of dish