Salmon Burgers with Peach Salsa
- 2 large peach(es), diced
- 1 small jalapeño pepper(s), cored, seeded and finely chopped (do not touch seeds with your bare hands)
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp table salt
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, fresh, choppedBurgers
- 14 3/4 oz canned salmon, red, drained, broken into small chunks
- 1 medium uncooked scallion(s), finely chopped
- 2 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 large egg(s), beaten
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 1/2 Tbsp dried plain breadcrumbs, whole-wheat variety
- To prepare salsa, combine peaches, jalapeno and lemon juice in a medium bowl; add sugar and mix well. Stir in salt and cilantro and toss gently to mix; set aside.
- Preheat grill.
- To prepare burgers, place salmon in a medium bowl and mash salmon bones with the back of a fork. Add scallion, lemon zest, egg, pepper and bread crumbs; mix well. Shape salmon mixture into four 1-inch-thick patties.
- Gently place burgers in a grill basket or on a grill rack and grill at medium-high heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Flip burgers and grill until golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes more. Serve salmon burgers with peach salsa on the side. Yields 1 burger and about 1/2 cup of salsa per serving.
The burgers can be broiled instead of grilled: Coat a broiler rack with cooking spray, preheat broiler and broil 4 inches from the heat for 2 to 3 minutes per side.