A go-to side dish that’s terrific with roasted poultry and meat. Chop leftovers and mix with crumbled goat cheese for an easy omelet filling.
- 1 pound(s) uncooked shallot(s), about 12 medium-large shallots
- 1/4 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, or to taste
- 1 Tbsp rosemary, fresh, minced
- 2 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar, or sherry vinegar, or to taste
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Remove papery skin from shallots and trim root ends; place in a roasting pan. Toss shallots with oil, rosemary, salt and pepper; cover loosely with foil. Roast, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover and toss shallots; roast, uncovered, until shallots are soft, about 25 minutes more. Increase oven to 450ºF. Continue roasting until shallots are caramelized, tossing occasionally, about 5 to 8 minutes. Drizzle with vinegar and serve. Yields about 3 shallots per serving.