1 large, sliced
2 medium clove(s), minced
Uncooked baby carrots
5 oz, sliced (about 2 to 2 1/2 cups)
Uncooked lean and trimmed beef brisket
Canned crushed tomatoes
Crushed red pepper flakes
Fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- Spread onion slices and garlic on bottom of a nonstick roasting pan; top with carrots and mushrooms. Arrange beef over vegetables.
- In a mixing bowl, combine tomatoes, paprika, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, lemon juice, and sugar; stir to dissolve sugar.
- Pour tomato mixture over brisket and vegetables; tightly cover with a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Roast for 2 hours and then remove from oven; uncover, stir and use pan juices to baste meat. Return brisket to oven and roast for about 1 hour more, uncovered, basting every 15 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing beef into 1/4-inch-thick pieces. Serve meat and vegetables with sauce spooned over top.
- Serving size: 3 oz beef plus 3/4 c vegetables with sauce