- 2 medium uncooked eggplant(s), sliced lengthwise (do not peel)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 large uncooked onion(s), chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 large uncooked carrot(s), chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 medium sweet red pepper(s), chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3 clove(s), large garlic clove(s), chopped
- 3 medium portobello mushroom(s), caps, chopped into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, fresh, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme, or 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
- 15 oz canned tomato sauce, or 2 cups homemade tomato sauce
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Rub cut sides of eggplants with oil. Place on a nonstick baking sheet cut-sides up. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes (eggplant should not be cooked entirely through). Remove from oven and flip over with a spatula; let cool on baking sheet. Leave oven on.
Meanwhile, coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrot and peppers. Sauté until soft and slightly browned, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic and mushrooms. Increase heat to high and continue to sauté until mushrooms soften and release their juices, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in parsley and thyme; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Scoop out flesh of cooled eggplant with a soup spoon, leaving about a 1/4-inch of eggplant flesh in skin. Coarsely chop flesh and add to mushroom mixture; mix well.
Fill each eggplant shell with about 1 1/2 cups of filling. Place stuffed eggplant shells in a nonstick 9 X 13-inch pan. Spoon 1/2 cup of tomato sauce over each stuffed eggplant shell. Bake for 15 minutes, remove from oven and let cool. Yields one stuffed eggplant half per serving.
Freezing and thawing instructions: Freeze each cooled eggplant half, topped with sauce, in individual containers. When ready to eat, thaw and microwave. Or, thaw and reheat for about 15 to 20 minutes in a 350°F oven.
This recipe is part of our Cook Ahead and Freeze Series. Find mouth-watering recipes that’ll help you put meals on the table in minutes during stressful or busy times. Homemade ‘fast food’ was never so easy and healthy ‘frozen dinners’ never tasted so good! Try some of our other fabulous freezable recipes such as Chile-Spiced Red Snapper and Couscous Stew, Mexican Meatloaf, Mustard-Dill Chicken in Foil Packs and Turkey and Mango Picadillo.