Roast capon with pomegranate glaze
1 Tbsp, crushed
Raw skinless boneless light and dark meat chicken
4 pound(s), 1 (8-pound) capon, giblets removed
2 large, minced
Canned chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Set rack in medium roasting pan. Spray rack and pan with nonstick spray.
- To make glaze, stir together pomegranate molasses and mustard in small bowl. Set aside 2 tablespoons of glaze for brushing during final 15 minutes of roasting.
- Stir together fennel seeds, cumin, coriander, paprika, salt, pepper, and cinnamon in cup. With your fingers, loosen skin on capon breasts, legs, and thighs. Rub spice mixture on meat under skin; press skin back into place.
- Tuck wings under capon and tie legs together with kitchen string. Place capon on rack, breast side up, and brush with 4 tablespoons glaze. Pour 3 cups water into roasting pan. Roast until instant-read thermometer inserted into thigh registers 165°F, 2 1/2–3 hours, adding more water to pan if necessary if liquid evaporates, and brushing capon with reserved glaze during last 15 minutes of roasting.
- Carefully tilt capon upright to allow juices inside cavity to pour into pan. Transfer capon to cutting board and let stand about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove rack from roasting pan. Strain pan juices into measuring cup and discard solids. Skim off visible fat. Set pan over 2 burners over medium heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring frequently, until shallots are softened, about 2 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add broth and pan juices; bring to boil over high heat, stirring with wooden spoon to scrape up browned bits from bottom of pan. Carve capon into 12 pieces and serve with pan sauce. Remove skin before eating.
- Serving size: 1/12 of capon and about 2 tablespoons pan sauce