Quinoa and Shrimp Salad
- 1 cup(s) uncooked quinoa
- 2 cup(s) water
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 4 oz uncooked green snap beans, fresh or frozen, cut in 1 1/2-inch lengths, steamed (about 1 rounded cup)
- 1 medium sweet red pepper(s), cored, seeded and chopped
- 12 oz uncooked shrimp, medium-size, cooked, peeled
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp fat free chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp dill, minced
- 1/4 tsp table salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, or more to taste
- Place quinoa in a fine mesh sieve and hold under cold, running water to rinse well; drain. (Or you can put quinoa in a sheet of cheesecloth, run water through it and then let it drain).
- Bring 2 cups of water and 1/4 teaspoon of salt to a boil in a small saucepan; stir in quinoa and bring to a boil again. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Uncover and remove pan from heat to cool.
- Combine green beans, red pepper and shrimp in a large salad bowl; stir in cooled quinoa. Combine lemon juice, broth, oil, dill, remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt and black pepper in a cup; stir well. Pour oil mixture over salad and toss gently but well. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.
Capers can add a delightful tangy flavor to this salad. Skip the dill and add 2 tablespoons of capers to the recipe instead, if desired. Because capers are salty, taste the salad before adding the last 1/4 teaspoon of salt – you may not need it.