- 15 oz canned chicken broth, divided
- 1 large uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 15 oz canned cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 oz water-packed tuna fish drained, flaked with a fork
- 15 oz canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup(s) basil, fresh, chopped
In a medium pot, heat 1/4 cup of broth over medium-high heat; add onion and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
Add beans, tuna, tomatoes and oregano; stir in remaining broth and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in salt, pepper and basil; simmer for 1 minute more. Yields about 1 1/4 cups per serving.
- If you can't find fresh basil, substitute 2 tablespoons of fresh, flat-leaf parsley in its place. Rouille sauce, a garlicky condiment that tops French bouillabaisse, is a delicious optional topping for this stew. For a quick version, blend together 1 slice of French bread (torn into pieces), 1 garlic clove, 2 roasted red peppers (from a water-packed jar), 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne and 1 tablespoon of chicken broth (or enough broth to make a sauce). Add a dollop to each serving of stew (not included in SmartPoints value).