Pork chops with red mole sauce
Dried pasilla peppers
3 item(s), seeded
3 cup(s), boiling
Canned chicken broth
Uncooked center loin pork chop
1½ pound(s), 6 (1/4-pound) pork chops, trimmed
1 medium, chopped
3 medium clove(s), peeled
1 medium, quartered
1 oz, chopped
- 1 Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Add pasillas and cook, turning often, until lightly toasted and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Transfer to small bowl and add boiling water to cover; let stand until softened, about 20 minutes. Drain chiles and discard water; remove stems. Transfer chiles to blender. Add 1/2 cup broth and process until smooth; leave chile mixture in blender.
- 2 Sprinkle pork with 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork chops and cook, turning often, until cooked through, about 8 minutes. Transfer pork to plate and set aside.
- 3 Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to skillet. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until onion is golden, 2–3 minutes. Add tomato and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add oregano, cumin, and cinnamon and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 15 seconds.
- 4 Add tomato mixture, remaining 1/2 cup broth, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt to blender and process until smooth. Return chile mixture to skillet. Cook, stirring often, until thickened, about 6 minutes. Stir in chocolate and cook, stirring, until melted, about 1 minute. Slice pork chops, if desired, and serve with sauce.
- Serving size: (1 pork chop and 1/4 cup sauce)