Pear Poppy Seed Cake
- Total Time
Pear puree is a natural sweetener. Try using other pureed fruits, such as prunes and apples, to cut back on the sugar factor in some of your favorite baked goodies.
pear(s)2 large, peeled and cored
low-fat buttermilk¼ cup(s)
almond extract¼ tsp
all-purpose flour1 cup(s)
baking powder2 tsp
poppy seeds2 Tbsp
ground ginger1 tsp
baking soda¼ tsp
table salt¼ tsp
salted butter6 Tbsp, softened
egg white(s)3 large
- Heat oven to 350°F (175°C). Coat an 8-inch (20 cm) square cake pan with cooking spray; dust with flour.
- In microwavable bowl, heat pears until tender, about 2 minutes on high.
- Strain 1/4 cup pear juice into measuring cup. Add buttermilk and stir in almond extract.
- Mash pears with fork until they're about the texture of applesauce.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, poppy seeds, ginger, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter with a mixer on medium speed until light; add pear purée and mix to combine. Alternately add dry ingredients and pear juice mixture in three additions, starting with dry mixture.
- In another bowl, whip egg whites with mixer until almost stiff. Add sugar slowly and whip until stiff. In three additions, fold whites into pear mixture. Pour into pan.
- Bake until cake springs back in middle when lightly touched, about 45 minutes. Cool on rack and serve.