Pear and Sweet Potato Casserole
- 1 1/2 large uncooked sweet potato(es)
- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 1/2 Tbsp regular butter
- 1 1/2 tsp ginger root, fresh, minced
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp lemon zest, freshly grated
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 2 medium pear(s), ripe, Anjou, peeled, halved, sliced crosswise 1/4-inch-thick
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, or more to taste
- Pierce sweet potatoes in a few places with tip of a knife. Place on a paper towel and microwave on high, turning potatoes over once, until tender, about 7 to 9 minutes. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat; add ginger and cook until fragrant, stirring, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat; stir in syrup, lemon zest and salt.
- With your fingers or a small knife, peel skin from sweet potatoes. Slice potatoes into 1/2-inch-thick rounds.
- Arrange sweet potatoes in bottom of prepared plate and place pears on top; brush with about half of syrup mixture.
- Bake for 15 minutes; remove from oven and brush with remaining syrup mixture. Return to oven; bake until glazed and mixture is bubbly around edges, about 15 minutes more.
- Remove from oven and drizzle lemon juice over top. Make sure to spoon juices from bottom of dish over each serving. Yields about 1/2 cup per serving.
Make sure to spoon juices from the bottom of dish over each serving.