Pasta with broccoli rabe and Bolognese sauce
⅛ tsp, for cooking pasta
1 cup(s), chopped
Uncooked 93% lean ground beef
Canned crushed tomatoes
28 oz, fire-roasted recommended
Crushed red pepper flakes
Uncooked whole wheat pasta
12 oz, penne rigate suggested
Cooked broccoli rabe
1 pound(s), ends trimmed, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, to make sauce, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent, about 6 minutes. Add beef and fennel seeds to skillet; cook until browned, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, salt, red pepper flakes and oregano; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- While sauce simmers, add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package instructions, adding broccoli rabe to pasta water 5 minutes before pasta will be done; cook until pasta and broccoli rabe are tender.
- Drain pasta and broccoli rabe; return to pot. Add sauce; toss to mix and coat. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.