Pasta with Broccoli Rabe and Bolognese Sauce
- Total Time
Sauteed ground beef is flavored with fennel, garlic, pepper and fire-roasted tomatoes. Tossed with broccoli rabe and pasta, it makes a terrific, hearty main meal.
table salt⅛ tsp, for cooking pasta
olive oil2 tsp
uncooked onion(s)1 cup(s), chopped
minced garlic1 Tbsp
uncooked 93% lean ground beef¾ pound(s)
fennel seed2 ½ tsp
canned crushed tomatoes28 oz, fire-roasted recommended
table salt¼ tsp
crushed red pepper flakes½ tsp
dried oregano½ tsp
uncooked whole wheat pasta12 oz, penne rigate suggested
cooked broccoli rabe1 pound(s), ends trimmed, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, to make sauce, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent, about 6 minutes. Add beef and fennel seeds to skillet; cook until browned, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, salt, red pepper flakes and oregano; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- While sauce simmers, add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package instructions, adding broccoli rabe to pasta water 5 minutes before pasta will be done; cook until pasta and broccoli rabe are tender.
- Drain pasta and broccoli rabe; return to pot. Add sauce; toss to mix and coat. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.