- 1/8 tsp table salt, for cooking pasta
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup(s) uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 3/4 pound(s) uncooked 93% lean ground beef
- 2 1/2 tsp fennel seed
- 28 oz canned crushed tomatoes, fire-roasted recommended
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 12 oz uncooked whole wheat pasta, penne rigate suggested
- 1 pound(s) cooked broccoli rabe, ends trimmed, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
Meanwhile, to make sauce, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent, about 6 minutes. Add beef and fennel seeds to skillet; cook until browned, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, about 3 to 4 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes, salt, red pepper flakes and oregano; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
While sauce simmers, add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package instructions, adding broccoli rabe to pasta water 5 minutes before pasta will be done; cook until pasta and broccoli rabe are tender.
Drain pasta and broccoli rabe; return to pot. Add sauce; toss to mix and coat. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.
- This recipe is also great with lean ground turkey instead of beef. Not a broccoli rabe fan? Use regular broccoli instead.