4 medium, (8- to 9-ounce)
extra virgin olive oil
2 large, finely chopped (1/3 cup)
2 medium clove(s), minced
2 slice(s), thin slices (1/2 ounce each), trimmed of fat and chopped
grated Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp, toasted and chopped
- Grate 1/2 teaspoon zest from lemon and set aside; squeeze lemon juice. Add 1 tablespoon lemon juice to bowl containing 1 cup water. Cut off stalk at base of each artichoke and add to lemon water. Snap off tough green leaves from around base of artichokes; discard. Slice 1 inch off tops of artichokes. Dip cut surfaces in lemon water. With kitchen scissors, trim thorny tops from leaves.
- Spread open center leaves of artichoke. With tip of spoon, scoop out violet-tipped leaves and scrape out fuzzy choke. Place artichoke in lemon water. Repeat with remaining artichokes. Peel artichoke stems and chop.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add stems, shallots, and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add prosciutto and cook, stirring, until slightly crisp. Add panko and cook, stirring, until golden, 3–4 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and stir in Parmesan, reserved lemon zest, pine nuts, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir in 2 teaspoons lemon juice and water to moisten stuffing.
- Place artichokes, upside down, on paper towels to drain. Turn artichokes and lightly pack stuffing into cavities and between leaves. Pour 1 inch of water into 4-quart slow cooker; stand stuffed artichokes in slow cooker. Place sheet of foil on top. Cover and cook until bottom of artichoke can be pierced easily with knife, about 3 hours on High.
- Remove foil. Transfer artichokes to paper towels to drain. Arrange on platter and drizzle with remaining 2 teaspoons oil.
- Per serving: 1 stuffed artichoke