- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 2 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 1 1/2 cup(s) uncooked arborio rice
- 5 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 leaf/leaves bay leaf
- 1 cup(s) frozen green peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh parsley, fresh, chopped
- 4 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp light butter
- 1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add rice and cook until translucent, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes.
Add 1/2 cup of broth and bay leaves and simmer until liquid is absorbed, stirring constantly. Add remaining chicken broth, 1/2 cup at a time, waiting until liquid is absorbed before adding the next 1/2 cup (our risotto takes about 20 minutes to cook from the time the first liquid is added).
Remove bay leaves, fold in peas and cook until hot, about 1 minute. Remove from heat; fold in parsley, Parmesan cheese and margarine. Season to taste with salt and pepper and spoon risotto into shallow bowls; serve hot. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.