Paella egg rolls with roasted pepper cream sauce
¼ tsp, threads (see note)
½ tsp, divided
Uncooked white rice
½ cup(s), short-grain (see note)
Cooked frozen shrimp
1 cup(s), baby-size
Frozen green peas
½ cup(s), you do not have to thaw peas
Roasted red peppers (packed in water)
3 Tbsp, minced, divided
Egg roll wrapper(s)
Plain fat free yogurt
Reduced calorie mayonnaise
⅛ tsp, Spanish smoked (see note)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Combine 1 cup of water, saffron and 1/4 teaspoon of salt in a small pot; simmer for 1 minute to soften saffron. Stir in rice; bring to a boil. Cover pot; reduce heat to very low and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 17 minutes. Immediately stir in shrimp, peas, 1 tablespoon of roasted pepper, almonds, remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper.
- Place an egg roll wrapper on a flat work surface with the corners set vertically (pointing up and down – a diamond shape). Arrange 3 slightly rounded tablespoons of filling down the center of wrapper, leaving 1/2 inch at the bottom and top.
- Fold the bottom of the wrapper to the center, over the filling. Gently, but firmly, fold the left side of the wrapper to the center and then fold in the right side. Fold the top of the wrapper down to cover filling and seal any loose ends with water; repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Place filled wrappers on prepared baking sheet; lightly spray surface of wrappers with cooking spray. Bake until wrappers are golden brown, flipping once, about 16 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make sauce, combine yogurt, mayonnaise, remaining 2 tablespoons of roasted pepper and paprika in a small bowl. Yields 1 roll and about 1 tablespoon of sauce per serving.