New Year's Eve Steak Dinner
- Total Time
Here’s a delicious way to ring in 2017! Make the rice ahead of time and reheat it while the meat cooks.
regular butter2 Tbsp
uncooked onion(s)½ cup(s), finely chopped
fresh mushroom(s)1 cup(s), thinly sliced
uncooked long grain brown rice2 cup(s)
table salt2 tsp, divided
fresh parsley1 cup(s), minced
olive oil cooking spray2 spray(s)
uncooked lean and trimmed beef tenderloin2 pound(s)
black pepper½ tsp, freshly ground
red wine8 fl oz, (1 cup)
canned beef broth1 cup(s)
uncooked asparagus3 pound(s), washed and trimmed
olive oil1 tsp
- To make rice, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat; sauté onions until they start to caramelize, 10 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until they start to release moisture, 5 minutes. Add water, rice and 1/2 tsp salt to pan; stir and boil 1 minute. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 25 minutes. Uncover pan, fluff rice with a fork and stir in parsley. Cover pan again and cook until rice has absorbed all of water, about 5 minutes more.
- To make steak, coat an oven-proof skillet or grill pan with cooking spray. Preheat oven (with pan inside oven) to 450ºF. Rub meat with 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. When oven is heated, place meat on pan and roast for 20 minutes, or longer for desired degree of doneness (about 10 minutes per pound for rare, 12 to 13 minutes per pound for medium). Remove meat to a cutting board and loosely cover with aluminum foil; let rest 10 minutes before slicing across grain.
- During last half of cooking meat, cook asparagus: place spears on a large baking sheet and drizzle with oil and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 tsp salt. Roast asparagus on rack below meat to desired doneness, 9 to 12 minutes.
- While meat rests, place same skillet or pan on stove and add wine and broth; increase heat to high. Bring mixture to a boil (liquid will foam), scrapping bottom and sides of pan to incorporate pan drippings; reduce liquid to about 1/3 the volume to make gravy.
- Slice meat and arrange on a serving platter. Add any juices from the meat to the gravy. Serve meat over rice with asparagus on the side; drizzle gravy over top.
- Serving size: 3 oz meat, a scant 2/3 c rice, 4 tsp gravy and a few asparagus spears