Mussels with Pesto Broth & Lemony Oven Fries
When’s the last time you had mussels for dinner? They are inexpensive and so easy to cook! We simmered them in white wine and stirred in pesto at the end.
Uncooked Yukon gold potato(es)
1 medium, (about 8 oz)
¾ tsp, divided
Uncooked mussels in shells
½ cup(s), dry
Reduced-fat pesto sauce
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the potato into ½-inch-thick slices; cut the slices into ½-inch-thick sticks. Spread the fries in a single layer on the prepared pan and coat with cooking spray. Bake for 20 minutes. Toss the fries with ½ tsp salt and the black pepper. Bake the fries until browned, 5 minutes more. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the lemon zest.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, add the mussels, wine, and 1⁄4 cup water and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the mussels open, 4 to 5 minutes. (Discard any mussels that do not open.)
- Transfer the mussels to 2 bowls. Stir the pesto and remaining ¼ tsp salt into the broth in the pot. Spoon the broth over the mussels. Serve with the fries.
- Serving size: about 34 mussels, 24 fries, and ¾ cup broth